1.打电话的人找的是你自己
A: Is Daisy there?
Daisy 在吗?
B: This is she.
我就是。(注: 男的用"This is he." 下同,不再解释)
举一反三:
You’re speaking/talking to her.
你正在跟她说话。
This is Daisy.
我就是Daisy。
That’s me.
我就是。
2.打电话的人要找的人不在
A: May I speak to Mr. Gates?
请问Gates 先生在吗?
B: He’s not here right now.
他现在不在这里。
举一反三:
He’s out.
他出去了。
He’s in a meeting right now.
他现在正在开会。
You’ve just missed him.
你刚好错过他了。
He’s just stepped out.
他刚好出去了。
3.打电话的人要找的人不在, 问对方是否要留言
A: Can I talk to Mark?
我可以跟Mark 讲话吗?
B: He’s out on his lunch break right now. Would you like to leave a message?
他出去吃午饭了, 你要留言吗?
举一反三:
He’s not available right now. Can I take a message?
他不在, 我可以帮你传话吗?
4.打电话的人问他要找的人何时回来
A: Do you know when he will be back?
你知道他什么时候会回来吗?
B: I’m sorry. I don’t know.
抱歉, 我不知道。
举一反三:
I have no idea.
我不知道。
He should be back in 20 minutes.
他应该二十分钟内会回来。
5.打电话的人问他要找的人在哪里
A: Do you have any idea where he is?
你知道他在哪里吗?
B: Sorry. I don’t know.
抱歉, 我不知道。
举一反三:
He’s at work right now. Do you want his phone number?
他现在在上班。你要不要他的电话号码?
6.打电话的人要找的人不在, 愿意接受对方的留言
A: Can I leave a message?
我可以留个话?
B: Yes. Go ahead, please.
可以, 请继续。
举一反三:
Of course. Hold on for just a second so I can grab a pen and paper.
当然, 稍等一下让我拿个纸笔。
Sure, if you can excuse me for just a second. Let me find a piece of paper to write it down.
当然, 如果你可以等我一下下, 让我找张纸写下来。
7.接受对方留言时听不清楚, 希望对方重复
A: When he comes back, can you have him call me at (206) 5551212?
他回来后, 能不能让他打(206) 5551212 这个号码给我?
B: Can you repeat again, please?
能不能请你再重复一次?
举一反三:
(Say) Again, please?
再说一次好吗?
Pardon?
抱歉。请再说一次。
Come again, please?
再说一次好吗?
I’m sorry?
抱歉。请再说一次。